Tropical Contemporary is currently seeking proposals for our Oct 2018 - June 2019 season of exhibition programming. Types of proposals may include but are not limited to: solo and group exhibitions, performances, events, workshops, screenings, and curatorial projects. Projects can range in duration from multi week exhibitions to single-night performances, pop-ups, and recurring events. Our goal is to highlight all voices that are underrepresented in the art world, including (but by no means limited to) female/femme, lgbtqia+, poc, and self-taught artists/creators/thinkers. Our review process will center around this goal.
Because we want our call for submissions to welcome to as many people as possible, regardless of experience or background, we have reduced the process down to three requirements:
1. Submit 3-10 Images or a link where video work can be streamed online videos
2. In order of preference, indicate the top 3 dates of choice for your project. (If there are dates during which you would not be able to do your project, please indicate these as well)
3. Briefly respond to the following 4 questions (please keep it less than 250 words or less per question)
• Briefly describe your background and your work. Leave a website, instagram link, etc if applicable.
• What is your intended use for our space? Would you like to do a multi week exhibition, a recurring program, or a pop up event?
• What makes your project a good fit for our space and our mission? How does your project align with our values?
• What resources do you anticipate needing? Are there any other considerations we should know about?
Email your response to three requirements above with the subject line “2018/2019 Call for Proposals” to email@example.com
DEADLINE JULY 15, 2018!!
We are a group of emerging contemporary artists located in Eugene, Oregon who are working to instill a climate of communication, critique, and creation. Our primary goal is to provide the Eugene community with access to contemporary art with an emphasis on providing a platform for marginalized and emerging artists to exhibit their work. Consisting mostly of LGBTQ, femme and/or emerging artists, as a collective, we aim to inspire people to engage with conversations larger than themselves. We believe that fostering an environment for thinkers and makers to flourish is key to creating impactful work that challenges perceptions around social/cultural histories, gender, identity, humor, material exploration, and language.
ABOUT OUR SPACE
Our project space at 1120 Bailey Hill Road #11 is an adapted warehouse with white walls, high ceilings, and a cement floor. Our location is easily accessed by car, public transit, and bike path. Images of the space can be found on our website via documentation of past exhibitions.
What does it cost?
There is no fee to submit proposals. However, if your call is accepted, we do ask that you contribute a $25 space use fee at the time of installation via paypal, cash, or Venmo. This helps offset the costs of prep, installation, and promotion, and to support Tropical Contemporary’s ongoing programming. Tropical does NOT retain any percentage of sales from artwork. All sales enquiries are forwarded straight to the artist. Artists/curators are also responsible for transportation of their work to and from the exhibition space.
How does the space stay open?
Our project space is open and staffed on a volunteer basis, and is a complete labor of love on the part of its members. Our programming for 2018 has been generously funded in part by The Precipice Fund in conjunction with The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts and the Calligram Foundation. Typically our gallery hours are during openings, on Saturdays from 1-4pm, and by appointment. If your proposal is accepted, you can of course extend those hours by sitting your show yourself, or by recruiting additional sitters.